Apr 7, 2012

REVIEW: Titanic 3D (dir. Cameron)

I'm sure it's the best conversion to date, but it's still a conversion, which means that the action is segregated into a series of planes, as in a diorama, while the actors remain stubbornly and defiantly in 2D. The only places it worked, I thought, were the shots at the prow and stern of the boat — Rose looking down into the churning water, Jack doing his king-of-the-world routine, the upended stern in the finale. All nicely vertiginous, but  the over-the shoulder shots now make it look as if the conversations are taking place across a tennis court. It actively dispels the intimacy Cameron fought so hard to achieve. I still love his film, while wishing its detractors happy, contented lives, shorn of all cornball sentiment and sappy dialogue (what do they do when someone tells them "I love you?" Send it back for a rewrite?). I love Di Caprio in it, so beautiful, long and lean you wonder he doesn't get ushered onto the lifeboats with all the women and children.  I love Rose once she gets her hair wet (not so much before, with her ringleted hair and awful make-up), and most of all the sight of her wading through jade-clored water, indomitably, with an axe. I even like Billy Zane, delivering his lines like a villain waxing his mustache. Also, the shot of those massive pistons below decks, pumping in a row, like a bunch of terminators doing bench-presses. All shots of the boat at night. That eerie moment of calm, right after the collision, when everyone thinks they've gotten away with it ("that was a close shave"). I just preferred it all in 2D, thank you, although I appreciate the effort. B+

7 comments:

  1. took me a while to realize it but i too think this is a pretty dang good movie. it's scary, and sad, and spectacular. my wife has not seen it, and chortles (literally chortles) at me when i mention this. i would have taken her to see the 3D to put my money where my x is but i just dont enjoy watching people die anymore. weird!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My wife — who is American — subjects me to a fair amount of ridicule over this, too. I once wanted to watch Titanic on TV while she wanted to watch the Superbowl. And she kept up a steady stream of groans throughout Titanic 3-D. My heart goes on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm still trying to assess the process by which Titanic went from "$1 billion in ticket sales" to "everybody, not just film snobs, agreeing that it's an embarrassment." I didn't sign on to that. Nobody consulted me, I didn't get a vote, damn it. Anyway, this is so close to what I figured would be my reaction that it's kind of spooky, and it obliterates any need I felt to run out and see it. A tarted-up high-tech colorization, sounds like.

    Incidentally, it isn't the sappy dialogue that bothers me in the film, it's the smart-ass anachronistic quips that I could live without, but I guess Cameron can't help himself. The romance? For heaven sake, it's the freaking BEST PART--and I don't mean merely Jack and Rose, I also mean the romance of the Titanic itself. The boat is the tragic heroine of the movie, not Rose.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah yes, the anachronistic quips, the finger Rose gives David Warner, and all those dud ironies about Freud and Picasso and a ship that will "make history". All awful. But as Updike once said to a critic "all these things are true, but are they all that can be said of my book?" There is so much else on offer!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Agreed. I suppose Cameron's cock-of-the-walk personal style doesn't help; people naturally react with "you're not THAT great." But I think it's intriguing that the most successful action-movie director of all time came up with what I'd cite as one of the most heartbreakingly, sincerely romantic endings of the last 20 years.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Guys seriously u shud watch titanic in 3D..it still looks fresh....the 3D is so well done and specially the last one hour of the movie is mnd blowing! superbbbb stuff. Extravagant, exhilarating, devastating, poetic, romantic and totally unforgettable, Titanic is an extraordinary achievement in film making, where technology astounds, yet the human story shines even brighter
    Every person who liked cinema or who wants to know whats a great movie....should go out there and watch titanic in 3D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello! I соuld havе swогn I've been to this blog before but after browsing through some of the post I realized it's new to me.
    Anyhow, I'm definitely delighted I found it and I'll bе book-maгking and checking baсk oftеn!
    entertainermedia.com

    ReplyDelete